Pages

Friday, February 7, 2014

Mystery Skulls & Robert Delong - El Rey Theater - January 31, 2014

Robert Delong
One of the things I love most about a live show is when I haven't seen the band or artist perform in a while, so that I have something to compare the performance to. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of pretty much any type of performance - new or old to me. There's just something great about being able to say to yourself, or if you're fortunate, the artist, "Wow, you've come a long way." In this case, I was able to say that very thing to both artists.

I first saw Robert Delong perform at Echo Park Rising almost 2 years ago, Summer 2012. He wasn't very well-known then, at least not to my knowledge (or by the appearance of how many fans he had at that point). He had much less fancy equipment then. Fast forward to January 2013 and he's selling out a headlining tour and having the Mowglis surprise everyone on-stage.


Mystery Skulls (aka Luis Dubuc)is a new project, but it's obvious as the time passes that Luis has such diversity as an artist. Having just seen his first performance as Mystery Skulls last summer and enjoying it thoroughly, I wasn't sure what to expect when I found out he was touring with Robert Delong. From the moment I stepped into the room and saw his extensive set-up on stage and felt the energy of the crowd, I knew that he had grown even just in the past months since summer.


The way that he owns the stage and has this presence over everyone, that isn't looking down on them, but making an experience everyone can enjoy together, is astounding. He truly has a way of capturing an audience. Although many of the fans may have showed up initially for the headliner, Robert Delong, I can't imagine anyone left forgetting Mystery Skulls' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment