Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Interview with Laptop Rapper MC Lars

Pic @ Vans Warped Kickoff Party (MC Lars w/Andrea Blunt)
I'm a little late getting this up, but I was happy to catch up with my buddy MC Lars who makes some of the best "laptop rap" in the game, at the Vans Warped Tour Kickoff Party! I was introduced to his music many years ago, during a very monumental time of my life, and I was very influenced by this genre, which he's well known in. (If you don't know of him, get acquainted now!) I genuinely appreciate all the amazing work he puts into his music and the sweet, sweet poetry (literally and figuratively) that comes as a result. He also is inspired by one of my favorite poets, Edgar Allen Poe! To top it off, he's such a genuine sweetheart and for me, that makes everything in the music game better.

***

What influenced you to start making music?

I was passionate about punk rock, hip hop, and I just really loved doing it myself. When I was sixteen I started writing hop hop songs.

What is your writing process like?

I start with a beat, need the cadences, the beat informs the rap. I look for a beat that matches, like a paper - the chorus is the thesis, the verses are the defending paragraphs. [I just have to say I love this, as a writer myself!]

Do you consider yourself a nerdcore artist? That's definitely how I was introduced to you.

No, I definitely don't consider myself a nerdcore artist.

What has been your favorite moment or show or specific tour?

Warped Tour 2011. The Less Than Jake main stage and performing with them.

What drives you and keeps you going?

It's a miraculous thing to make a living doing what you love. I feel very lucky.

Have there been any bumps in the road that you've had to overcome, and then grown from?

Being "DIY" you do it all. You have to find the fun and momentum. People are so generous. And Kickstarter helps.
Courtesy of mc_lars Instagram

Who did you grow up listening to that has influenced you?

I grew up on Weird Al and the Beastie Boys, but got more into punk and indie rap as I got older.

If you could have a collaboration with one person, who would it be?

Dr. Dre. He's awesome, a great song writer, and great with beats.

***
Check out MC Lars online to check out his music and what he's up to, and check him out on Warped Tour!

Twitter, Facebook, and his website!

Please support me by liking my page on Facebook for regular updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment