Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Feather Oars "Reckless" Album Review

It seems like we're always looking for something new and unique in our hunt for music, and if you're someone who's "really into music," you're always in a different mood—and it's always something different that you desire that will make you feel satisfied. With the risk of seeming cheesy, you could almost relate it to an Easter-egg hunt. What will you find in some secret hiding spot that will totally blow your mind? I think it's similar to a small child finding their goodies at the hunt and the way it truly excites them. 

If you're fortunate, sometimes new music surrounds you in such a familiar, comforting way that it's like feeling at home. That's what I call a great find. Music that envelopes you, comforts you, and reminds you of everything you've loved: that's powerful. That's what Feather Oars have produced in their debut EP, Reckless. I couldn't compare it to any other albums by the band since this it's their first release, but it is certainly a strong statement to say that it's a great stand-alone album.

The first several times that I listened to the album, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was beautiful and full of life, and even one of my favorites that I'd heard in a long time coming from an indie rock band. I had no complaints or any ideas of what I would have changed if I could have. The real excitement for the album though came later, after I had let it stew for a little while. After getting the correct track list and putting the songs in order, I felt like everything had been turned upside down—in a good way. I knew that the album reminded me of something, but I couldn't exactly put my finger on. I liked that.

Listening to it a couple more times, I started to recognize certain elements and also came to a realization. And what it was that I recognized were elements that reminded me of some of my most loved and cherished music –but I'll get back to that in a moment. What I realized was that this album was the birth of musicians who truly loved music. Now, that might sound like something you would scoff and say, "Duh!" to, but in this day and age it isn't a given. There is a difference in the sound of a track where you can hear the love and the passion, and that is present on every track of this album. I use the word passionate specifically because it's a word that speaks to me, just like this album did.

Starting off strong with "Knowing Yourself, Art", I knew I was in for a real treat. The word desperation comes to mind, but not in the pathetic sense of the usual definition. More so in the frenzied, reckless sense, where you can just see how badly the band or the singer wants you to feel the message of the track. 

"Tear You Apart" reminded me, funny enough, of a track from 2005 under the same name, by She Wants Revenge. Funny enough, singer Michael Pfohl told me that he hadn't heard the song or the band whatsoever, so while it was not directly inspired by She Wants Revenge, it definitely might remind some of the sound. Regardless, the following track, "Collide" also had a rough, shaky sound that fell into the same vein of alternative, post-hardcore, almost gothic sounding rock music.

It's difficult to compare one band to another when you're invested in the sound, but with the hopes to find this wonderful band some new listeners, I would say RIYL: La Dispute, Brand New, Balance & Composure. Although some of the tracks are in a darker vein, there is an obvious attempt to make light of the darkness portrayed in the music.

All in all, there is real depth to this album, in the lyrics and in the music. The songs flow together so perfectly and it's always over too soon. Nashville has obviously been hiding some real gems, if this is any sign of what comes out of there!

This amazing album can be found online for free at http://featheroars.bandcamp.com/ on August 2nd, and will be on iTunes and Spotify, out on August 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment